hello,
i want to open business for upholstery car set, and i dont have any iformation, i need help please from some one to tell me names for school where i can learn it or school whith new technology
thank you
Opening a business isn't as easy as it seems so, I can understand your struggle. When I started my first business I had no idea where to start so I searched as many free and online materials as I could. After some tries, I stopped at https://www.prendo.com/. This platform has lots of materials on different subjects that might be helpful. You can check them out and see if something is helpful for you but, don't forget good things take time. That's why you should be patient and take it to step by step.
John liked this
Being a craftsman/tradesman and operating a profitable business are two different things. You won't learn all the skills you need in one place. Even if you are skilled in your craft, success is not guaranteed if you cannot attract customers and service them profitably, not an easy thing to do with custom work. Read some of the posts on pricing on this forum first.
John liked this
Marketing, advertising and being able to attract customers is unfortunately more important than raw skill. Over time though a good reputation and word of mouth will keep building your business or sink it. This is something I am wrestling with now, my "old" profession, industrial filmmaking, has become unprofitable and I'm tired of competing with a never ending crop of incompetent people willing to work for nothing. Rates have dropped and clients know then don't have to pay a living wage to desperate people, so they don't. Right now I'm designing and making prototypes of soft goods, but have been looking at upholstery as well since it's something I can do for through the end of my career. I've had a construction company in the past, but at this point it's not a viable career for me in the future. I'm sure a lot of people find themselves in transition and have to figure out what to do next.
John liked this
A few tech schools have classes for upholstery, but not knowing where you live makes it hard to say what one would be close to you. The tech school here in the Tulsa area have classes. You do have to bring your own projects to learn on. I have learned mostly by videos such as Lucky Needle vids and others on the internet. I also learn by my mistakes after my wife says "why did you do it that way" I am not in this for making a living, mainly because I enjoy it. Being in the hot rod hobby, I get all I care to do from other folks in the car clubs.
MalcolmM liked this
Tempe Arizona. I've also done a lot of online education, looked at a few short courses for marine canvas but the cost for a few days of instruction vs online programs and a lot of materials to practice with is what I'm doing now. The one nice thing about doing this is I don't need anyone's permission to work, just pick a project, design it and do it. I find making things satisfying, having to give up my shop when I sold the house was the hardest part of moving for me. I have set up a fabrication room in my apt and am able to do small things now.
John liked this
That's in Prescott, about 120 miles from here, but in Arizona it's "close". Right now I'm working on finishing up a film series and am designing and making prototypes for my next business, soft goods. If that doesn't work out then upholstery seems like a good option for me. Recently finished up two recliners and ottomans for myself and am going to redo two shop stools for my own use. I've appreciated all the information on this site over the years, keep up the good work! BTW how is the shop build going?
John liked this
Thanks! The shop building is moving along slowly. I found a good local contractor and am currently waiting on site specific plans from the engineer. I should have the plans in about 2 week. Then I can go get building permits.
Yeah sorry I haven't gotten any new update videos out in a while. I have just gotten swamped with other things.
Good to know your a lighting expert! Ill be sure to consult you once I get to that step. Thanks!
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: