Post pictures of your finished work and current projects.
By IvanD
Decided to start topic to post where I'm at and hopefully get some feedback along.

Yesterday I finished 2 side bolsters. All those not final yet, it's just practice with vinyl. I made templates from old bolsters. Not sure I like how seam lays right in a middle :(

Other than that it is all straight.
Add description
Add description
IMG_2488.jpg (325.71 KiB) Viewed 13694 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_2485.jpg (493.81 KiB) Viewed 13694 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_2484.jpg (495.99 KiB) Viewed 13694 times
John liked this
By John
Hey man! Very nice work. Only thing I would suggest is hitting the under side of those seams with some steam to help them relax a little and lay down smoother. But still fantastic job so far @IvanD ! :grinning:
By IvanD
Made another headrest. Lost count of how many I did. Now it looks pretty good, just like original was. Didn't hit it with steam and it's not leather but I can tell it is right. I.m sure it will be even better when I do it in leather.
IMG_2515.jpg
IMG_2515.jpg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 13663 times
IMG_2514.jpg
IMG_2514.jpg (24.3 KiB) Viewed 13663 times
IMG_2513.jpg
IMG_2513.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 13663 times
By IvanD
Then I wanted to check how French seam will look on those. HORRIBLE. So far I tend to keep it simple, like original with no decorative seams.
IMG_2519.jpg
IMG_2519.jpg (31.57 KiB) Viewed 13662 times
IMG_2518.jpg
IMG_2518.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 13662 times
IMG_2517.jpg
IMG_2517.jpg (29.7 KiB) Viewed 13662 times
By Tat.vs
@IvanD that is some quality work there!
How long have you been into upholstery? You should show the motor once you finish it, nothing nicer that a nice and clean bmw! :ok_hand:
By IvanD
Tat.vs wrote:@IvanD that is some quality work there!
How long have you been into upholstery? You should show the motor once you finish it, nothing nicer that a nice and clean bmw! :ok_hand:
I'm doing it as a hobby for myself. Just got my sewing machine in October and spend couple nights per week in garage. So, not much experience at all. But I read and watch videos for like 40-60hr at least. I pretty much "know" how to do it, just don't have hands on. For example, see those French seams above. After doing one side I realized how I should track needle and other side came out better. But it's still horrible. Look at stitch size. I setup machine for 5mm but when you start pulling and stretching - stitch becomes shorter.

There is a LOT of little things. It is easy to do practice excersizes on scrap(see pic), will take couple hours to become decent. It's when you start doing real stuff..
Add description
Add description
IMG_2522.jpg (303.53 KiB) Viewed 13652 times
John liked this
By IvanD
I made 3 more headrests, another set of templates for headrest. I still like single reinforced seam better then plain seam. I think it's good for now, tired of doing same thing over and over. Will move onto other parts and then do some more practice runs on headrests later.

Given that I didn't steam/stretch very good - I think result is decent. All parts that I don't like not visible anyways after install.

Total I "made" over 10 headrests now. Plus I sewn bunch of circles, etc. Here is another thing about those headrests - seam length between marks different on sides and main part. So you have to "gather" material when sewing.

I also stopped using pencil for sew line, just go by guide. Definitely making straighter seams but those headrests start to get on my nerve :)
Attachments
IMG_2531.jpg
IMG_2531.jpg (42.85 KiB) Viewed 13635 times
IMG_2530.jpg
IMG_2530.jpg (49.81 KiB) Viewed 13635 times
IMG_2529.jpg
IMG_2529.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 13635 times
By IvanD
Now that I almost out of vinyl I purchased 2 automotive leather hides (with some partial cutouts) from eBay for $50 shipped. Can't complain about a price for a material I will use for practicing.

And I can tell you - it's a whole different animal! Just sewing it presented couple issues right away. First my machine started to throw thread from a tensioner (which I fixed). Now - I'm not sure I like seams on a leather.

I got R and LR needles and doesn't matter, they make not very nice cuts. Maybe I'm overthinking, but seams don't look as good, there is no "compressed" effect like with vinyl, leather is hard. I do like how curve with single seam looks though, better than vinyl at least to me :smiley:
IMG_2552.jpg
IMG_2552.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 13629 times
IMG_2549.jpg
IMG_2549.jpg (459.76 KiB) Viewed 13629 times
By John
What size needle are you using? I ask because the hole looks really large.
The LR needle is designed to cut an angled hole to make the stitches look that way by design. If you want a straight stitch try an SD needle. You should also be fine with the universal needle as well.
By IvanD
Those needles were slightly bigger (125-130) for the 92 thread. I just received another package with LL and LR needles in 120 size. Here is stitches I get now. I think they will work considering black thread is the worst (hardest).

Seam on a right is 120 size LR needle. I kind of like it. Smaller hole and I like how it angles. Other colors look much better.
Seams on left is LL. Makes it completely straight which is interesting. Not sure what I would use it for, may for plain invisible seams to join pieces?
Add description
Add description
IMG_2557_jpg_0567da95d5e8a2786ff7855a2148caba.jpg (466.36 KiB) Viewed 13602 times
John liked this
By IvanD
Need advice on dealing with seams. Here is 2 bolsters (pictured). One got reinforced seam and another is factory style. I did cut bulk from both of them, internal part covered with 1/4 skrim.

On a plain seam I can't figure out how to make seam lay flat underneath so it looks neat. Is there any tricks? I tried to hammer it (it's leather), tried to steap inside/outside. But when you put it on it wants to go sideways.
Add description
Add description
IMG_2612.jpg (445.45 KiB) Viewed 13596 times
By Joemcglynn
I’ve never done this - just a beginner myself. But in terms of aesthetics, on the bolsters I think a single win forced seam like in the first picture would look best, but move the seam so it’s on the side of the bolster instead of the top. I’d probably use a contrasting thread too, just to make it “pop”.

Looks like you are making good progress though. I’m still at the “practice scraps” stage, but am eager to move on to a real project.
By Cody
@IvanD youre making great progress in all aspect of your project. Keep it up.

On the no reinforcement seam on the back side have you cut vertical slits along the seam allowance so that it can bend? Sometimes if you don’t the seam tries to fold up on itself and becomes wavy and does what you’re showing. But I agree for aesthetics. The reinforced seam looks better. The angle is hard to tell in the last pic but in your first pic of the bolsters, it looks like what @Joemcglynn said. You can see a sharper spot where the foam bends and then your seam is in from there a bit. To help things lay flatter, your seam should fit best on that bend. Think of drawing a line along the apex of that bend. You want your seam to be on top of that line and the material on either side of it.
By Cody
I didn’t this quick on my phone so don’t judge my drawing skills lol. But this is where the seam would look best and I believe sit the best
John liked this
By IvanD
I hear you guys. Thing is - it’s like original is. If I move this seam- material won’t stretch as needed. Almost have to add stripe of material so there will be 2 seams instead of 1
By IvanD
Ok, see pics of original seat attached. In original - they don't do reinforced seam. But it doesn't go on edge. My templates correct I think. I may need to stretch it little more. Another pic shows my current car's seat where same bolster made of more pieces which allows wraping around this "hill".

And my own "invention". Yesterday I was playing with leather and adding second seam about 1/8 from main one for strenght and to help it lay better. You can see main seam "wondering" because I had to go slow and try to stay on line. Plus material even it was fixed with staples still have to watch alignment.

So, I realized that next time I'm going to do 2nd seam first and then do main seam which will be much easier once material is all together. Plus, with 1/2 inch initial allowance it will be easier when I do 3/8 or so first.

P.S. And by the way, I'm still practicing. Real leather is $50 for 2 hides from eBay. Making bunch of freebies for BMW forum members (bolsters) while practicing :)
Add description
Add description
IMG_2620.jpg (799.54 KiB) Viewed 13572 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_2617.jpg (469.81 KiB) Viewed 13572 times
Add description
Add description
frontseats2.jpg (146.5 KiB) Viewed 13572 times
By Joemcglynn
Are the tan seats the original?

I think it’s kind of a question of what look you want, then figuring out how to make it and have it look “right”. If you want an exact reproduction of factory, that \’s cool. Personally i’d Do (#TryToDo :grinning: ) something flashier. But that’s how I would think about it - decide on the look you want and then figure out a strategy to make that design work.
By IvanD
@Joemcglynn
Yeah, I'd like to make it look factory or very close. Those tan seats is factory. I have multiple issues/questions on making something "better"
1. All other panels already done and conservative.
2. Car is old and classy. Not sport car by any means. Adding any contrast stitching will just look out of place IMO.
3. My skill and my equipment. There is no freaking way I will be able to make french seam on those top bolsters where they go round. Even reinforced seam already pretty hard with flat bed machine.

This is my first project. I'd rather do simple but accurate then colorful with lot's of crooked stitches :grinning:
I do agree that seam looks out of place but again, won't be able to stretch material around to place it on a side. I think part of a problem is that in factory seat they have plain seam and I did reinforced in practice piece which pops more.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: