Post pictures of your finished work and current projects.
By Joemcglynn
Totally makes sense @IvanD. If you aren't re-doing everything else then you do need to keep it as close to the original as possible.
By IvanD
@Joemcglynn Yep, not for this car. I did get red and blue thread though. I'm toying with idea of reupholsering my office chair in leather with diamonds, ///M stitching and so on :)
By John
IvanD wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:16 pm Need advice on dealing with seams. Here is 2 bolsters (pictured). One got reinforced seam and another is factory style. I did cut bulk from both of them, internal part covered with 1/4 skrim.

On a plain seam I can't figure out how to make seam lay flat underneath so it looks neat. Is there any tricks? I tried to hammer it (it's leather), tried to steap inside/outside. But when you put it on it wants to go sideways.

IMG_2612.jpg
That seam looks like should lay down nice and flat if you steam it and stretch it on nicely. Just make sure you keep the seam allowance folded to one side. In the corner in might also help to trim down the seam allowance.
By IvanD
@John Yeah, I will try. Leather is pretty stiff, will see what I can do.

Today I made top centers. Sewing was easy except that I had to get creative with those white loops on back (what do the called?) I used 1 1/2 webbing, folded in half with a double-sticky 1/4 tape. Then I put another piece of 1/4 double sticky tape over one side and attached to the sew foam. That way I was able to sew from a top and I hit those pretty good. Used 138 on top for more "pop"

Next question: How do I fix foam? Wire was embedded into foam, now it ripped and wire is out. I need to get it back so I can properly affix this seat back
IMG_2626.jpg
IMG_2626.jpg (462.94 KiB) Viewed 7443 times
IMG_2625.jpg
IMG_2625.jpg (350.06 KiB) Viewed 7443 times
IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2623.jpg (323.33 KiB) Viewed 7443 times
By Cody
A way I was told to fix the wires that come out of the foam is to get T-shirt material and basically glue it down on top of the whole foam section making sure to get it pressed down nice and tight over the wire area. This basically encapsulates them again. I was told the whole area so there are no weird stop and start lines that may appear later, and the more surface area glued down the stronger the hold
By IvanD
@Cody
In this case there is about 1 inch deep gap where cover will be sitting. There is not much space to put t-shirt..

I've seen people using buttons on other side and wire or something holding wire froom other side. I'm thinking maybe doing something like that and then put t-shirt with glue over those buttons on a back to make sure they don't rub, etc
By John
I always do what Cody said. Glue the wire back in. Glue the foam back together and then glue a canvas type material over top. Attaching from the back side could work as well.
By IvanD
Speaking of seam not being on edge. All it took is to stretch it little more to the side. So, installation is just important as sewing.
IMG_2630.jpg
IMG_2630.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
IMG_2629.jpg
IMG_2629.jpg (74.86 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
Kra z Bill liked this
By John
Great lesson! @IvanD Yes installation is just as important as proper sewing.

Yes use the same landau contact cement for foam repair. The bond will be stronger than the foam.

Oh Also i forgot. The white loops on the back of covers you asked about is called Listing
You can use any woven fabric to make listing.
Bondo497 liked this
By IvanD
@John Thanks! I am moving alone. This is all throw away stuff but I’m gaining experience and making notes on small mistakes. Back is ready and I am switching to bottom. Bolsters templated and made, working on main seating area. They got electric thigh support, so many different pieces to sew together
ECC25C04-DDEF-48E3-995E-2798696425D6.jpeg
ECC25C04-DDEF-48E3-995E-2798696425D6.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 7416 times
John liked this
By IvanD
Definitely getting better at sewing. This is thigh support piece. It's got plastic J-channel upfront, sewing it is a challenge. Not sure what is the best way to go. I've seen some people using hot glue. My modified feet still not thin enough to sew on edge of this plastic. Plus existing holes break needle easily. My idea is to grind machine feet even more and set stitch size to be exact match with their holes and try to sew through the same holes.
Add description
Add description
IMG_2639.jpg (353.02 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_2637.jpg (404.12 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
Add description
Add description
IMG_2638.jpg (364.71 KiB) Viewed 7398 times
By Bondo497
@IvanD
Sounds like a plan to me, I'm all about making whatever it takes to get the job done and if it makes things easier the better.
By John
Yeah when reusing the j clips they can become hard and break your needle. I usually try to match up the holes as well. You can also try a larger needle as well.

With a vision to empower and inspire our customers[…]

First Project - Cube Stool

Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutr[…]

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]