Post pictures of your finished work and current projects.
By Trimmerman79
Hey guys, I finally got some free time this past week to build a demo door panel to display possible designs customers
Could go with during a build. I stated by building the panel out of mdf. Since this is just a demo display, don’t have to worry about the
Elements. Also much cheaper to build from mdf then Composite materials. I first come up with a design and draw it out on a sheet of 1/4” mdf in the shape
Of a modern door panel. Then cut those patterns out and transfer them to thicker pieces of mdf 3/4”.

John, Jeanne, MalcolmM and 1 others liked this
By Trimmerman79
Sorry I didn’t get pictures of me cutting out the piece that mount to the 1/4 mdf base panel. I think I will build another panel in the near future and do a step by step process on photos and video on YouTube.

Here I made a arm rest which will attach to the panel. Made and shaped out of 3/4” mdf . Will be attached to the base of the door panel buy wood thread inserts using #10-24 1.5” screws. Then I made the door handle trim and handle out of mdf and acrylic. The door handle was painted satin gray color to give it a contrast. The acrylic door handle trim base was 1/4”. The handle also was 1/4” acrylic.
By Trimmerman79
Next I disabled all the pieces to start the building of the piece structures. I elected to use 1/8” landau foam to give it a nice firm feel to the touch. Goal was to make it close as possible to a replica of a modern door panel as possible. But without all the electronics and switches.

I sprayed glued the panels I wanted the foam to stick. Tapes off the other areas with the transparent green tape that I didn’t want glue to go.
By Trimmerman79
Finally parts are covered in the 1/8” landaufoam. All sides of the foam was sanded before applying to have better adhesion to the panel. If you watch Johns videos ( the lucky needle videos) he states the importance of this step.
By Trimmerman79
Next I started wrapping the base panel in black vinyl and trim pieces in black perforated vinyl.

The door armrest/pull was covered in 1/8” foam first then wrapped in black vinyl.

Next I cut some 1/4” pink sew foam to size. Along with the black vinyl. I marked out my stitch lines I wanted to make.
LLeeT liked this
By Trimmerman79
Then I wrap the armrest and screw it to the base panel. Which hold in place the stitched insert panel. This is the completed door panel demo
For potential customers to see feel. Help them to envision a design in a project they would like to have on their own vehicle. That’s it, not bad for my first ever door panel build. lots more practice ahead of me to get to the level I want to reach. Thanks for checking out my project. I will be making how to related to fabrication of interior and car audio. Will be updating content I. The coming weeks. Link to my page and please subscribe https://m.youtube.com/c/HinnantDesignFrederick

By JeffScobie
This is really awesome! I'm about to build new door panels for my 81 C10. I'm wondering what you think is the best way to connect to the door itself?
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: