Post pictures of your finished work and current projects.
By IvanD
This is first one for me. Man it takes so much time!!! So far 2 front seats done along with center console.
Some before and after pics. I also replaces bottom foam on drivers seat. And there is color change.

Leather was sourced from eBay. It's italian upholstery leather.

Now working on rear seat and it proves to be even harder. Much more smaller pieces.

Wrinkles in a middle is interesting topic! I was asking how to do it, and I read how hard is it to duplicate. It was easier than I thought. Factory glues felt with pre-made pattern. I just had to transfer it to new leather. Will be PITA if you produce aftermarket covers, but for re-doing interior it's just additional work.
IMG_2128.jpg
IMG_2128.jpg (325.52 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
IMG_2126.jpg
IMG_2126.jpg (298.83 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
IMG_2047.jpg
IMG_2047.jpg (449.08 KiB) Viewed 7196 times
John, John Long, preston.rea liked this
By IvanD
@BigRig
I actually thought about it. The more I work with it the more I like it. I feel like there is a "bond" with me and machine now :) I had PFAFF and it was working and everything but for some reason I just didn't care. No "subjective" opinions. I just like this Consew.

I also think high power servo I put helps a lot, I can control speed precisely and it's got enough torque to start very slow if needed.

I found I don't care and don't need needle positioner at all.

I also found I use knee lift most of the time now.

So, definitely practice makes it perfect and definitely I won't look into any improvements. I do french seams with plain feet, do switch between 92/138 when topstitching, use one size and type needle for everything.

Simple. And machine works perfectly with no issues.
John Long liked this
By IvanD
This is what full work day (or 9hr) looked like. 3 rear headrests and armrest. Take apart, document, templates, scrim foam, sew, assemble.

And I still need to hand stitch all of them which will take 1hr. And clean/steam. How much faster pros do those?
IMG_2230.jpg
IMG_2230.jpg (464.43 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
IMG_2231.jpg
IMG_2231.jpg (518.82 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
IMG_2233.jpg
IMG_2233.jpg (328.38 KiB) Viewed 6949 times
By John
Your making good time. I would estimate around 7 hours for those 4 pieces.
IvanD liked this
By IvanD
@John Thanks!

I am still trying to understand how is it possible for companies to sell full set of leather covers (2 rows) for $750 shipped.
I paid $330 for ebay leather + Foam + thread, probably $400 total in supplies.
By John
Cheep labor and automation. %70 of the work we do is all in the patterning, prepping, cutting, installing. Those companies have the patterns already made, scanned in to a computer and then cut out on a CNC fabric cutter. All they have to do is sew it together. They also buy material in massive quantities to get a really good price.

Most of the time those premade covers dont fit very well also
By IvanD
They don't do installing. But yes, patterning, prepping and cutting is biggest time. even if I did 2 interiors it would be much cheaper because I don't have to cut/clean old parts twice.

Speaking of which, do you use factory align marks? On this car I found them matching and everywhere so I didn't bother marking anything and just use factory. I sew 10mm from edge, factory is about 8. With outlining (maybe 1mm) and cutting I think it works out to pretty much exact copy.

I also didn't worry about being "symmetrical" on parts. I just trace whole part event if it's distorted a little. And it works!
John liked this
By John
I usually make my own alignment marks because I find that many factory alignment marks dont line up. But if you have a cover where the all line up then nothing wrong with using those.
John Long liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: