Post pictures of your finished work and current projects.
By B1N9S
This is my very first go at any upholstery, so be gentle. Its not perfect, but not bad for a first attempt ?
John liked this
By BigRig
@B1N9S ,

Brave man. I have 02 sitting here and 02 more in the chute. You did a great job! Interesting fabric choic though.
By John
Dude! Thats actually a really really good for your first time! You should be proud. There are some areas to improve on but also know that that style of seat is one of the hardest to do.
By BigRig
@B1N9S ,

Just curious on the material you chose. Like John said very hard to do and mine here are leather.
B1N9S liked this
By B1N9S
Pulled this one apart over the last couple of days. It's been sat there for months. I am having a nightmare trying to sew the 4 way shoulder junctions.

I decided to sew a top stitch across the join, but for the life of me I cannot get that junction to sit correctly and have the stitching line up. I am tearing what's left of my hair out. I lost my temper tonight and just tore into the work I had done :rage: I have to start again.

:grimacing: :grimacing: I never realised sewing would be sooooo frustrating !!! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
John liked this
By B1N9S
I would like to do them in leather Bigrig, but I daren't risk it on my first attempt. It aint cheap !!

I am using a good quality vinyl and the centres are upholstery grade tartan cloth. The car they're going in is a bit ratty anyway, so I'm not too fussed about leather.
Add description
Add description
20200408_183909.jpg (161.28 KiB) Viewed 7358 times
By B1N9S
Cheers mate. I'm still working on this chair, that was just a dry run and I'm working with an old Brother Lockstitch machine. Hopefully finish the bleedin thing today. I have realised that losing your temper is expensive.......I need more vinyl now.... :laughing:
John liked this
By B1N9S
I calmed down last night, eventually and decided to cut some more patterns and to really take my time. I think I was not taking enough time, with measurements and accuracy with my patterns and setting the seam allowance. So, things just wouldn't line up.

I also learnt, that when a curve lines up to a straight line they are not they same lengths !!! Seems obvious, but I was ignoring a very slight curve, which makes a huge difference when you pull it all together. See the shoulders on my chair !!

I think, I've got it now. So, back to the machine. I'm loving it. I also made a carpet set for the car with binding and that looks pretty good and a perforated headlining, which I have fitted, which also looks great, so it's not all frustration !! :grinning:
John liked this
By John
Yeah we have all been there. Sorry to hear about the frustrations. Glad to see your back on track and figured out the problem :thumbsup:
B1N9S liked this
By B1N9S
Well. I'm still not happy with the results, but it's a learning curve.

I remade the top section and added a top stitch to the shoulders and I also changed the leg extender to vinyl.

Can anyone advise why I can't get a nice smooth fit around the seat, where the piping goes ??
Add description
Add description
Recaro2.jpg (102.13 KiB) Viewed 7314 times
By John
looks to me like you need to steam the heck out of the under side of the seam right before installing. Also a tighter cover might help.
By B1N9S
I have managed to loan a steamer (just a domestic thing). I have no idea about the steaming thing. What does it do if you steam it before fitting ? Does it make the material stretch better ?

I will be doing this one again, but cutting the material 90deg, so the stretch is longitudinal.
By John
Steaming the cover before you install it will relax all the tension in the seams and will make it lay flatter. It will also make the material much more stretchy allowing you to get a tighter fit.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: