General discussions about our craft and industry.
By Rug Dr.
Question: how big are the pieces you save for possible use on other projects? I carpet a lot of bass boats, and keep pieces of carpet that can be used, some are 8" wide and 12" long, they do get used in some boats. Whats the smallest one should or would keep with vinyl??
John liked this
By BigRig
@Rug Dr. ,

I keep everything up to a 3"x3" piece of vinyl and leather. I just got hit up for 20 pouches and the measurements for them are 1.5"x3". I just finished an old chair and it was fabric. I throw every thread of that away when done I just hate fabric.
Rug Dr., John liked this
By John
I struggle with this myself. I usually keep any scraps that can be used for tests in the future. Then I get a huge build up of scrap material, get frustrated with it and throw it away. :joy:
John Long, Rug Dr., Matt Hamblin and 1 others liked this
By John
Haha yeah they would love that! I dont think vinyl would be safe for them to consume...
By Mikesimpson
Recently I used a bunch of my scrap pieces I had been saving a made a bunch of can koozies for my buddies. Wasted a couple hours of time, but it was better than throwing all the scrap stuff in the trash.
Mtl_Biker, John liked this
By Mtl_Biker
@Mikesimpson - VERY NICE!! And what a great idea!

In the first photo it looks like all the pieces have been cut out using the same pattern. But in the second photo it seems there are different treatments for the bottom.

Would you mind elaborating on how you did them?
By Mikesimpson
@Mtl_Biker I do have a template I made to make the normal 12oz can size koozies. On that particular batch I made a couple of them taller and slightly thinner for the guys that drink Coors. They are all backed with faux-neoprene cloth from Albrights, so the actually work really well also.
John liked this
By Mtl_Biker
@Mikesimpson - Thanks for the reply. In the top row of your photo, the 5 koozies in the middle appear to have very different stitching than the others. That's what prompted my question.
By Mikesimpson
@John Thanks! I started making them for the guys that opted for the cupholders in the seats so they could match the rest of the interior, then a bunch of guys wanted them haha. But it is a use of the leftover material and good practice for new guys like me.
John liked this
By Revv Up
Good to see I’m not the only one that likes to use up the scraps, because my business is centered around a winter outdoor activity I use my scraps to make microphone covers as we usually have VHF radios.
John liked this
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: