By 54Packmac
Good day! I am a newby to automotive trimming and self-taught via John’s courses. They have been fantastic!! I have a 1954 Packard convertible that I’m reupholstering. I’ve reached the point where I’m working on the door panels which have a unique design where the panel is a 2-piece design. The armrest is incorporated in to the panel versus being a separate piece that is bolted onto the interior side of the door. The section of the panel that includes the armrest is in terrible condition so I’m trying to recreate it. I’m looking for suggestions as to how to make the armrest, cushion it and then wrap it in the same vinyl that the rest of the main door panel is wrapped in. Ive tried a couple of different ideas, but they are just not working to my satisfaction and are very cumbersome to create. I have up loaded a picture of the door panel so you can see the section with the armrest/pull. Thanks for any suggestions including some other possible sources outside this forum!
John liked this
By Matt Hamblin
I use pvc sheeting for most of that type of thing. You can prob get 1/2" & 1/4" at the hardware chains. If you want 1/8" you may have to look online. Basically use what ever you plan on using for the card, i.e. abs plastic, cardboard, or pvc. Then create a pattern on the pvc board. You can use a small saw to cut it or a band saw works great. You can use a razor but very time consuming. Then just cut out as many pieces as you need to make the shape. You then glue/screw them together and sand/route them down to your shape. Then just attach to the door card and even if you wanted to make a bracket or something to attach to the door you could. Just a process I've been using lately but turns out nice.
John liked this
By John
Hi @54Packmac Glad you like the courses!

Unfortunately I have not found the time to film a more advanced door panels course. I do plan on it though.

In the mean time I would recommend this book to you. It has a good section on arm rests that is very good.
“Custom Auto Interiors” by Ron Mangus and Don Taylor, you can find it here on amazon: https://amzn.to/3bfnvQB

Essentially what you'll do is first cut out the top profile out of wood, abs, pvc, ect then attach that to your door panel. Then you can either use chip board to make the contour blending the top profile in to the the rest of the door panel. That's what they show in the book. I however prefer to use use fleece or flex form carpet and fiber glass resin to make the contour. Its more work but much stronger. Then you can cover the panel in 1/8" closed cell foam. On the top of the arm rest I would use neoprene or foam rubber because the closed cell wont hold up to the abuse the top of the arm rest will get.

I hope that helps!
Matt Hamblin liked this

Unless you're like me and mark the underside for y[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: