By Jimmyboy
Hello everyone,

I have started to work with leather and I am trying to figure out about buying leather. I have bought some hides and expected them to be irregularly shaped but expected the hides to be symmetrical comparing the left and right sides of the hides with the backbone bisecting the center of the hide.

The hides I receive are definitely far from symmetrical and I suspect that some of the hide is missing. Also when I compare the square footage stamped on the hide compared compared to my measurement shows a hide that is around 10% smaller than marked.

Is this normal or am I being cheated? ‍♂️

Thanks in advance for any response.
By Sully
Hides I have purchased from Apex and Relicate are symmetrical, and close to the average square footage they advertise. Nothing as drastic as your experience.
By BigRig
@Rhonda, what are you using the leather for? There is a member on here I have bought hides from and I have been very happy. I have also bought leather from Muirhead and it is best to use what you need for your project.
By Rhonda
I redid a seat in black leather. Springfield leather. My brother Lives in Springfield, its just easy access to me , I am a bargain shopper , sometimes they have the bundle deals for 50.00 , I have got some good hides from them , I have one i have not used yet. I will check out Muirhead. Prices are high right now.
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: