By Gregkl
I am reupholstering an occasional chair that originally had a fluted seat back. I don't care for that style and want to do something different that is more comfortable. My thoughts are a mildly(not pulled too deep) button tufted back.

My question is what is the best way to re-do the seat back given that it has a curve to it? Webbing? Springs?

If I install some type of support system, burlap, foam, Dacron and fabric, how do I get it all to follow the contour?

Thanks and thanks for accepting me to the forum!

the back looks like it has no support , if not , i would add some webbing or some springs . tuffting would be pretty , make sure you have a tuft friendly fabric and you cut it on the right selvage.
Good luck with your project , please show when finished.
Thanks! I was beginning to wonder if my post was visible. This is my second attempt at doing a chair like this. The extent of my reupholstering has been simple recovering of seats on kitchen chairs.

I'll decide on webbing or springs. I figured it would need something. The original didn't have anything but the fluted(channel) back as very thick and tight. Uncomfortable for sure to lean back against.

How do I know if I have a tuft friendly fabric? I will only be pulling the buttons in slightly. It won't be a deep pull like on a lot of stuff I see. Just below flush basically. And I'm not sure I understand what is the right selvage.
one way you cut the material it can stretch out more . so when tufting i find it easier to cut with the selvage sides across the grain , cutting it out right is important to the way the material lays.in tufting you have folds and creases when you pull the button in for the tuft.
MalcolmM liked this
Sounds good. I have a piece of 2" foam to use. The original fluted(channels) were about 2" in depth so I'm hoping to keep close to the same seat "set back" by using the foam. I also have burlap I can use.

Thank you for the tip on the webbing. If I did the horizontal tight it wouldn't follow the contour of the seat back, right? And should I do weave the webbing?
Take it for what it’s worth, I know absolutely nothing about upholstery but just looking at the photos, what it you routered a groove in that top piece and used a piece of 1/4” plywood for a backing stapled to the side styles?Then glue the foam to the plywood backing. Again I am an ok wood worker but just starting out with upholstery. Webbing may be easier.
Gregkl wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:20 pm Sounds good. I have a piece of 2" foam to use. The original fluted(channels) were about 2" in depth so I'm hoping to keep close to the same seat "set back" by using the foam. I also have burlap I can use.

Thank you for the tip on the webbing. If I did the horizontal tight it wouldn't follow the contour of the seat back, right? And should I do weave the webbing?
Always weave webbing
Shaun8484 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:09 am Nevermind, my mouth talks faster than my mind, I guess it would be hard to tuft with a piece of plywood there. :confounded:
Generally on a frame chair webbing is used not plywood. Plywood backed chairs are upholstered but you then don't need the frame
Sleek contemporary furniture combined with a neutral color palette can sometimes appear too stark and sterile for today's tastes how to order furniture online in Canada. Transitional furniture with its upholstery, softer edges and plusher fabrics can create a warmer more inviting look. When you choose transitional furniture that is similar in scale and arrange the furniture around a focal point, where is best to buy furniture , you can create a pleasant, balanced effect in the room. Transitional furniture combined with balance and symmetry can play an important role in putting together a calm room that is visually appealing. If you love the visually striking look of layered complementary textures which is the best place to buy furniture, transitional furniture is the way to go. Rather than using heavy ornamentation, the transitional home features simple silhouettes and gentle curves of modern designs coupled with interesting textures for a warm and exciting feel. Think rich fabrics on wood furniture coupled with glass and metal accents, where can i get furniture for cheap. When you choose transitional styling, use the minimalistic "less is more" method when you accessorize your room. Opt for a few carefully selected accent pieces to preserve the timeless appeal of your transitional home decor.

A knee lift is also REALLY nice :grin:

I use the Landau glue almost for everything. I h[…]

stapler

Hello! I have Rainco, I'm satisfied, I can get to […]

headliner retainer strips

I have a 1959 Plymouth - the headliner consists of[…]