By Tat.vs
Hello there all!
Any advice on a start up sewing machine, looking to get something new as I have no idea how to recognize a decent pre owned machine and most likely will end up with pile of rubbish. My budget is up to 1k but not sure if that would be enough at all... Looking to start learning on it but potentially use it more in the future once I learn how to :joy:
So any recommendations are welcomed! Aw and I am based in the UK if that matters for availability.

Thanks a lot!
By BigRig
@Tat.vs ,

I really cannot help you with the machine sourcing but if it is anything like the US look on the classifieds for Walking Foot machines. If your budget is $1000 you could get a whopper of a machine for that price.
By Tat.vs
Thanks guys!
Been browsing for ages but not sure what specs i need to look for. I want to buy one and hopefully not change it for years rather than needing something better once I learn because I made a bad choice.
By Cody
I’m with @IvanD I got my 1206 new for not much over that price and am happy with it. I also had a Juki lu-562 that was a work horse but wished it had the larger bobbin of the 563. Made search these machines.
By John
Hi @Tat.vs Welcome to the forum!!

The main thing you need is an industrial walking foot. I would reconsider buying used. There are only a few New walking foot machines under $1k. I haven't personally used them but I cant imagine they are very good. You can find some very nice used machines for around $600 and you can put a servo motor on it for around $150. Juki Lu-562 is a really good old machine. Thats what I have. The old model consews are also really nice.
By IvanD
Depends on locality. I was monitoring local CL since July and nothing came out. Couple Singer 111w155 for $500 with clutch. Pretty beat up on surface and no reverse. I was planning to get 1206 if nothing comes up but eventually I got nice cash deal from local dealer. $900 for PFAFF 1245 in very good shape with servo. I took it and it’s a nice machine so far.
By Tat.vs
Well I have been looking at the second hand market but as a person who has no clue what to look for, i dont want to risk buying something that will break in a month. And i cant really change anything on the machine, it's more likely that I will break it than improve it.
Any recommendations for new machines even if it is slightly over the 1K price mark?
By BigRig
@Tat.vs ,

You are going to pay shipping on a machine most likely. Maybe a board member has a machine they want to sell if your willing to pay shipping.
By John
Juki DNU-1541s is a great machine for the money. Runs around $1700 US. @Tat.vs where in the UK are you located? Feel free to post any used machines you find and we can try to help you decide if its any good. Old machines are pretty tough. As long as they dont have any rust on them and you can test to see if the sew before you buy it you should be alright.
By Tat.vs
For some reason the only pre owned machines I managed to find in the UK are Brother or Singer, way too cheap and dodgy looking.
The website I am using is gumtree and there are just a few machines available there but non of them are the brands that have been mentioned here.
I am based near Glasgow, might look into importing something but that would be last option really.
Will look into more details next week once I have more time to research and ask here if something second hand comes up.
Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it!
By BigRig
@Tat.vs ,

I would be all over either the Brother or the Singer! Getting harder to find, some serious professional trimming has been done with those brands.
By Cale
@Tat.vs
Take a look at the sailrite ultrafeed machines. That is what I got for my first machine to learn on and it has been able to do everything that I wanted it to do. Plus they are reasonably priced and they have models for yoir side of the pond.
The only issue I have is that they move very fast for a begginer. Otherwise, a great machine.
Sailrite.com
By Jayscanvas
Find some Facebook upholstery as in Home upholstery forums. I am on a bunch and they are always selling cheap walking foot machines in the UK more then I see in the states.
By Tat.vs
Thanks guys! I am so glad I found this forum, can't wait to get one and start learning and the practising on my motor :joy:
Will post my choice here before I purchase it to catch some more feedback, really appreciate all the help! :hugging:
John liked this
By BigRig
@Tat.vs ,

A sewing machine is a treasured item. Those gumtree finds might just be gold post some pictures of them and I can almost guarantee @John will be able to let you know if it going to suit your needs. What is it that you want to do primarily?
By Tat.vs
Hi @BigRig there is a guy on gumtree, basically just realised all the adverts are his, nothing else is for sale. Seems like he is a trader. Got a few machines for sale, all are walking foot industrial machines.
https://www.gumtree.com/profile/account ... 26daa160c0

Other than that, I haven't seen anything else. But when I was browsing online for a new one I saw the following on offer, but not entirely sure how suitable it would be.
https://www.tysew.co.uk/industrial-sewi ... &order=ASC

I am looking to learn how to sort my car seats basically and learn how to sort car interiors in general as a hobby. That is as far as I have planned. A bit of impulsive thing...
By BigRig
@Tat.vs ,

I am going to let the technicians on this board chime in but I would be going for that Toyota! That is really cool you are looking to sort your own car out :thumbsup:
By John
Hi @Tat.vs
I agree with @BigRig that toyota will be a great machine for you. You might have to get a servo motor for it but you would still be under your budget.
By Scott D
Stay away from the cheap stuff, REX, yamata and ones like them are no good. A good old juki will cost a good bit of money, 1/2 to 2/3 of a new one. Find a shop/store that repairs and sells machines, they might have trade in's that are in great shape.

I agree it's usually not a problem but on occasion[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: