By Tat.vs
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Indus ... SwZrtau8Di
Just saw this one on ebay and silly one but is this the same and would that do? The price is really good but not sure if that is what I need :grin:
Also https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 031879261/
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 383453484/
Not sure if the links from facebook market work but one is Juki 8700a for 350 and 8100e barely used for 475.
By backlash
it depends on what your starting up-most machines are ok but they are good at certain things and materials being sewed. make a list of what you expect to specialize in. than you can come up with a better idea for the forum to help you with. if your just wanting to learn to sew get a old singer learn to sew and sell it get your money back or make money on it. then you'll be ready for the major leagues. hope i was some help. backlash.
By Jace
Hi,
I’m in the same situation as @Tat.vs and was considering getting a Singer Heavy Duty (4411, 4423, 4452...) for a start.
I’m way low on funds for an industrial machine and being in Perth, Western Australia doesn’t help finding anything used! The shipping will kill ya! Besides, I don’t know what to look for either.
Any thoughts on the Singer?
By hobo
You can get a Juki, Pfaff, Adler, or Consew industrial walking foot machine used and be comfortable that it will be very dependable as most of these machines are built like tanks. Any reputable machine repair shop can fix most anything that might be an issue with these machines and most parts are generally available. Just decide what you most likely want your machine to accomplish and find a machine that best matches your needs.
John liked this
By Bondo497
@Jace my wife had the 4452 and it only lasted for 3 weeks before it had a catastrophic failure. She sews garment material about six hours a day 5 days a week so not real torture on a good machine but the only thing heavy duty about the singer heavy duty is the name. I bought her a circa 1975 kenmore at its still kicking, it is made in Japan. I don't think you will be happy with any of the these machines though because they are not walking foot machines, you need a walking foot machine if you are going to see heavy upholstry especially with foam because it will pull it through for you but you will have a very hard time with the home use machine because you will be pushing or at the least attempting to push the material through and it will just bush up at the foot. Just my opinion but I've been where you're about to be if you decide to go that route.
By Jace
@Bondo497
Thank you so so much for that share!! I’ve already killed one domestic machine (a Brother) doing upholstery lol. And that was only corduroy for a couch cover. Yeah, I definitely need something that will handle automotive upholstery including leather.
Back to hunting then! Thanks again!
Bondo497 liked this
By John
I know spending a few hounded bucks on a walking foot machine may seem like a lot of money now. But I promise you. You will save and make so much money from that one machine. You can reasonably find a machine for between $600 and $900 used. You will make that back on your first set of seats for sure! Honestly I don't believe there is another skilled trade around with a lower cost of entry.
By dave.hickman
Hi everyone,
I know where TAT is coming from. I had no idea what to buy, and found a local sewing machine dealer near to me in the MIdlands, and I asked him. He pointed towards a chinese import machine (a Wimsew W3300) This machine is useful as it will sew pretty well anything I throw at it, is walking foot and carries the majority of the samr parts as a Highlead machine. It is a highlead - rebadged.
The clutch motor was too much for me to get used to, and so I bought a Jack servo motor to replace it, and now I have a machine that I can use. Overall I have spent around £600 on my machine, and now I actually know better I would go for an Durkoppf Adler 291 machine, but these are trade machines , quite expensive (~2k GBP) and rarely come onto the UK market.
regards
Dave
By Stiffchick
I found a gentleman who repairs industrial machines near me, and he had a ton in his garage for sale. All were older and I didn't recognize some of the brand's, but he let me sew on them and they worked great. I was worried about finding parts in the future though. He had a line on a client of his closing up shop, and I was able to get a brand I recognized barely used. It got bumped in a cross country move and needed a few small pieces replaced. But my repair guy was able to fix it up, tune up and all for $150. I got a Juki DNU-1541s for $750 plus $150, alot cheaper than I could find new.
See if you can find a repair man, they are usually real helpful, and either have their own stash for resale, or know people selling.
By Tat.vs
Morning all, after all your help and recommendations I think I have made up my mind but before I spend my money I though to ask for your thoughts just in case.
I like the following Juki machine and it comes with the servo motor, looks mint and the price seems reasonable. Any feedback from yous would be appreciate as I am planning on purchasing it. :grin:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Juki-DNU-154 ... rk:11:pf:0
John liked this
By Cody
That’s a good price for that machine and a workhorse. I couldn’t find one that cheap in my area or I would have gotten that vs what I have now.
John liked this
By Jace
@Tat.vs Nice find!

Hey, any thoughts on top load vs side loading bobbins?

Also, I’ve been browsing a lot here in Aus and there seems to be a distinction between “walking foot” and “compound feed” machines here. Anyone could maybe help me out on the difference?

I was seriously considering the Sailrite LS1 but to get it over her would cost me like 1500AUD For about 1800AUD can get a new “Typical” branded macine new locally. Anyone have any experience with this brand?
By IvanD
I am watching lots of YouTube in Russian and pretty much everyone got Typical from China. I don’t even know which clone is that but they work for sure. Here in US people tend to follow Brands with reputation so you will hear Consew 206rb, Juki 562/563, Singer 111/211, pfaff 145/545/1245. Stuff like that
By Jace
Thanks for that reply.
I’d love to get a Juki but I just can’t justify the price they go for here - even the used ones IF you can find one.
Lol, I started out just wanting to reupholster my car seats because I hate paying to have something done that I can do myself and now I’m already considering buying a machine that would cost more than to just have it made! Lol
By IvanD
Jace, I was in similar situation. I don’t mind paying someone but it’s too easy and that car is a project. And since it’s a project- I had to do it myself. I got PFAFF 1245 from local dealer for $900 with servo motor. I love this machine. I think it even sounds different.
By Cody
@Jace the best part about buying the machine that costs more than having someone do it for you. Is that it yours and you’ll never have to pay someone to do it again. Then start talking and people will start coming to you. The initial cost may be hard to swallow for a lot of machines, but they pay for themselves quickly.
John liked this
By Tat.vs
Jace wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:48 am Thanks for that reply.
I’d love to get a Juki but I just can’t justify the price they go for here - even the used ones IF you can find one.
Lol, I started out just wanting to reupholster my car seats because I hate paying to have something done that I can do myself and now I’m already considering buying a machine that would cost more than to just have it made! Lol
@Jace I am exactly the same, but I saw someone elses car and I though okey I can do that lets try on my own lol
Still considering my options before I spend my money, always so paranoid I will end up with some rubbish when getting pre owned stuff
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: