By B1N9S
On car seats. I think I was once told to add 10mm scrim foam to anywhere that an arse touches and 6mm to anywhere else !!!

Well, that was a few years ago and I'm about to try and retrim my first pair of seats. So, what is the deal with using scrim foam on car seats ?

I am currently cutting out the patterns for the bolsters. Do I need to glue scrim foam to the vinyl before sewing ?

Does it ONLY go where it touches people ? So, not on the outer edges, etc ?
By Cody
You’ll get a few answers for this. Some will say, if it wasn’t there from the factory done put it there on the new. Also, depends on what type of pattern you are sewing into it. Diamonds, pleats, just factory replacement? It add a bit of fullness to the seats I think, but you don’t have to add 10mm to places you sit. You can add 6mm there also. As far as gluing? Unless the piece will be flat on a seat I never glue. I perimeter sew almost everything. Gluing unless used lightly can add wrinkles to pieces when you want them to lay smooth. My exception is if it’s a large panel and I’m sewing a design into the foam or want the foam to stay in place will I see it. Then I’ll tack it down.
By John
I typically use 1/2" on top panels and 1/4 on side panels. It all depends what look your going for. If you want a super sharp look you can use no scrim but you base foam need to be perfectly shaped. If you use no scrim you also need to sew your cover up tighter. Scrim foam helps fill the cover, round out the curves and hide imperfections in the base foam.
I will be using 1/2” and 1/4” pink scrim foam also like John stated. I just got my rolls the other day. 10 yards of each to start off with. I get mine local for $5.50 yard 1/4” and $7.50 yard 1/2”. Much cheaper then I can get online for even if I bought 20 yards.
Mikesimpson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:23 pm Thats a really good deal on the pink sew foam. I don't think you will find it cheaper anywhere online. Plus if you can pick it up locally thats a big bonus in my book.
Yeah online couldn’t beat this price. I also got the softer white 1/2” 20 yard scrim roll next to them for $4.50 a yard. Was a blow out on that roll since they didn’t sell much of it. I figure I could use it at least for practicing. Most of the time I get stuff from Albright. Which I got the 1/8” and 1/4” Landau Top closed cell foam rolls online from Albright since the local guy didn’t have it in yet.
Zajared7312@gmail.com wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:16 pm Where did you get that scrim foam from? :grin: :grin: :grin:
Had it delivered locally buy a upholstery supplier. Check in your local area for upholstery supplier and compare their price to online companies. Albright is a great online company if don’t have a local supplier.

Unless you're like me and mark the underside for y[…]

Single Faced Basting Tape

Thanks Ron. I was watching a video from Cechaflo […]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: