By Cody
So I’ve been lurking around the forum as I had cell service for the past week just to read but haven’t posted as I only have so much data and didn’t want to burn it up.

Last week my wife, daughter, and I rode our peddle bikes in RAGBRAI. This stands for Registers annual great bike ride across Iowa. It’s a huge event we’re tens of thousands of people literally get on there peddle bikes and ride a pre-planned route across Iowa. It’s different every year so you don’t see the same stuff. I took an extra loop to get my century patch (100 miles in 1 day). I had over 500 miles with the added extra optional loops. I’m an avid biker and have had my bike for 9yrs now. I don’t feel any need to replace my bike as new bikes are expensive and this works great. Only thing is the seat is also 9yrs old and starting to tear and I’m sure the foam is shot. It’s a pretty aggressive road bike and the seats for this aren’t known for being thick or comfortable to start. I’m a glutton for punishment and like this style seat. So my question is as I have little foam experience. Has anyone ever worked with different layers of foam, maybe gel inserts or memory foam and been able to come up with a slim configuration that’s a bit more comfortable? I was thinking I’d buy a new seat but use my old as a frame and work with different options and just cover in vinyl. Appears to be what it is now. Or am I just wishful thinking.
By BigRig
@Cody

I have to use memory foam in seating a lot. I mountain bike and sit on a saddle a lot too. I don't think memory foam is an option for a bike seat but gel is. I know a trimmer that uses gel specific for bike seats and motorcycle seating. I will find out more for you.
By Cody
@BigRig thank you, I appreciate it. And maybe asking for comfort at such a thin level is asking too much. I just thought I could use the opportunity to experiment a bit lol
By John
Im sure you can make something work nice. Albrights sells 1/2" thick gel pads that might work nicely. https://www.albrightssupply.com/Gel-Pad ... Click=3957
It says they can be cut and shaped but need to be sealed after. I have not used this stuff before. @torriec Do you have any information on using these gel pads?

If 1/2" is to thick you could try using foam rubber. McMaster carr sells many different firmness sheets of foam rubber. You'll have to experiment for what you like . I'm suggesting foam rubber because I don't thing normal foam would hold up the the abuse of a bike seat.

Keep us updated. I'm really interested in finding out what works for this project. Congrats on those miles!
By John
Hey guys make sure you remove the s from https after you click on the link above. I'm still working on getting that fixed.

@torriec Thanks for the awesome article!!
On your website it says "Cut / Raw edges must be sealed or wrapped prior to application" How do you guys recommend sealing the edges?
By Cody
Thanks for the article @torriec i couldn’t get the link to work this morning and searched the hog ring but came up empty.

Also, thanks @John for explaining how to get the link to work.

This article was similar tonwhat I was thinking of doing. Basically sitting on the bike in the position I ride the most. Mark where my hip/pelvic bone presses down the most and get the most sore. Remove that area on both sides of the center line of the seat. This would make 2 small areas for the gel. Use a thin sew foam over top if I’m concerned about a line showing and re cover.
John liked this
By BigRig
@Cody,

Take a look at Impact Gel. I think that you would be good with the foam rubber as John suggested. I know beginning of season the but always gets sore but after a few rides I toughen up. Long rides with just a little more padding will be just nice.
John liked this
By torriec
@Cody I just googled "the hog ring gel pad" and it was the first result. Try that!

@John You just put baby powder on the raw edges to seal it!
John liked this
By Cody
@BigRig yeah I tend to tell people I have to build a callus on my butt the beginning of the season. For most of my rides I do fine with no really issues. But I’m looking to start putting more distance trips in the schedule where I camp over night. This is where I start to feel it like you say.

@torriec i got the link to work after @John exaines that you need to delete the s in the address. Good article!
torriec liked this
By John
torriec wrote:@John You just put baby powder on the raw edges to seal it!
Interesting! I had no Idea. Thanks!!
Single Faced Basting Tape

Drop the single face and just enter basting tape. […]

I have a Pfaff 545 and 1245 which use the same bob[…]

Do you have a picture of the corner? Trying to und[…]

The Padded Cell

nice job! :grin: